Sunday 26 April 2009

where are the public telephones ?

I don't know how many computers you have at home but I have four for myself. It is interesting to see how people seem to have difficulty now to live without any technology supports.

Think! Farmers used computer system to control the agriculture programme. Kindergarten provides computer lessons to toddlers. Everybody can online with public computers in Singapore Changi International Airport like people also do in the biggest subway station in Hong Kong. Governments might replace public telephones in the future to give wider internet networks available to the citizens.

Can you imagine if one day we all lose ICTs... perhaps for many people it could be the end of the world...

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Joan. I really like your blog. Here the phone company is ripping out phone booths, even in isolated areas. They say everybody has a mobile. Like you, I wonder what would happen if the power went out. I would be completely LOST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Mobile phone uses a separated battery. I usually spare one more battery when the old one ran out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you lost your mobile phone, then all the contacts lost... that is disaster!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever been on a vacation truly away from it all? Did you miss your cellphone? Television? Computer? I've had the pleasure of being isolated with a few good books and it's refreshing. Technology is about affordances in context of the environment and social needs. Today, cell phones, wifi and email are demanded due to the nature of our lives. We need them. We'd miss them if the power went down. But think about how technology is adopted and integrated. A generation ago they were saying the same thing about television (how could we live without it) and before that, the combustion engine! Another example is the technology that appeared but didn't last: laser disc, betamax...
    You won't miss your cell phone when the next generation of ICT is put in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was really calmness and peaceful when I didn't turn on my cell phone, not wearing my watch, and not taking my notebook during the vacation. In a contemporary technology world, we can't keep them away more than two weeks (if you are living in a metropolitan city). I am sure you guys had experience with your packed emailbox after your holiday.

    ReplyDelete